Slow Simmered Decoction
There are countless variations of chai to enjoy, always made with staples such as cinnamon, ginger root, cloves, and cardamom. This recipe uses traditional ingredients from your spice cabinet with a few herbal additions to create the perfect restorative tea for those with low immunity, weakened individuals or when you may feel a cold coming on. Astragalus root is perfect for those needing some extra immune system support, known as a tonic to the immune system and the lungs.
A slow simmered decoction is required, since we are using hardier, woodier plant parts.
Star Ingredient: Astragalus
Astragalus has been found to support immune health and help the body adapt to stress in a healthy way. It prevent and protects the bodies cells against cell damage and death from various toxins, and can be incredibly helpful if you are significantly deficient and have symptoms of fatigue, lack of appetite or edema.
It also improves airway inflammation and decreases mucus production.
Drink this tea daily build resilience and boost vitality and wellness.
Delicious and medicinal - win!
- • 1 teaspoon dried astragalus root
- • ½ teaspoon dried licorice root
- • 2 slices of fresh or dried ginger
- • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (Ceylon) or ½ cinnamon stick
- • 2-3 whole black peppercorns
- • 1-2 green cardamom pods
- • 2 whole cloves
- • 1-2 teaspoons manuka honey
- • 3 cups water
- Combine all the ingredients except the honey in a
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Simmer for 30 min to one hour, top up with water if
- Cool slightly and add honey (optional)