I love recipes that are super simple but unexpectedly delicious, like this Creamy Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge.
This is an adaption of a recipe I recently discovered in Lorna Jane’s 2018 book Eat Good Food, which I wish I spotted earlier in the winter season as it is so effortless and comforting on these chilly winter mornings. I simply made one batch and it lasted Raphael and I the whole week, saving me a heap of time each morning. Winning!
I’ve been working ALOT lately. Running my business of ice cream churning by day and fulfilling online grocery shopping orders by night. And then I’ve been cooking and sharing my recipes here when I get the time – but I mean, what time…
So this recipe is a godsend for a busy morning, busy week, busy life! Every morning I am hanging for this healthy, filling, steaming bowl of Creamy Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge. And a strong coffee of course.
You might now know but brown rice is actually a very nutritious and gluten-free carbohydrate. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals (manganese, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and B vitamins) as well as fiber and protein, plus it is filling but then relatively low in calories. What I love about it is that it’s extremely high manganese, a trace mineral needed for nutrient absorption.
Why you’ll love this creamy breakfast porridge
Simple, quick, and foolproof! If you’re like me and like to save time, you can make a batch up to keep in the fridge for reheating. This brown rice porridge recipe takes between 30 to 40 minutes to make and requires just 6 base ingredients you can get at any grocery store. 7 if you count the water : )
Wintery and warming. Steaming, warm porridge, topped with fruit, nuts and coconut yogurt, drizzled with honey or maple syrup and sprinkled with ground cinnamon. The result is a satisfying breakfast with warming winter spice and a touch of sweetness. If you want to make your own coconut yogurt check out my recipe here.
Perfect for busy people. Once it’s made, it’s so quick to heat up, or you can even eat it cold as the seasons change. So you can spend more time watching the sun rise with hot coffee and less time rushing around the kitchen!
Easy to customize. This breakfast easy to tailor to your taste. For example, you can add cocoa powder and top with toasted hazelnuts for a chocolatey, Nutella style breakfast.
How long does the porridge last in the fridge?
If you plan to make a big batch, just add any fruit to the amount of porridge you plan to eat that day. This will preserve the freshness of the porridge for about 5 days.
Enjoy! And I hope your winter mornings are warm, cozy, and your content from this healthy, nutritional-power-house recipe. And if you love this recipe as much as I do, please rate and review the recipe below 🙂
Warm up your winter mornings with this simple, nourishing and delicious Creamy Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge. Made with brown rice, oats, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- 1 and 1/4 cups brown rice
- 3/4 cup rolled oats - gluten free ones if required
- 1.25 litres water (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon food quality salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Blueberries/fruit of choice (banana and apple both work well)
- Roasted almonds, or any type of nuts
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut yogurt
- Drizzle of honey/maple syrup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Combine rice, oats, water, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan over a high heat, bringing to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the base.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cinnamon until combined and the milk is heated through.
- Serve the porridge topped with blueberries, almonds, coconut yogurt, honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
You can make the porridge for the week ahead to save time. Add a little more coconut milk or water on reheating.